Grass growth has risen over the last week to 80kgDM/Ha/day. Grass growth is predicted to rise further to 84 kgDM/Ha/day during this week before falling back to 60kg DM/Ha/day next week.
Grass quality is similar to last week and currently has a dry matter of 13.4%, ME 11.4, Crude Protein of 18.7%, Sugars 10.7%.
GrassCheck is funded by AgriSearch.
The full bulletin can be viewed by clicking here.
- Growth continues to be well above the seasonal average and is expected to remain so for the next week. However, forecasted cooler, changeable, weather will likely result in reduced growth rates after next week.
- Grass quality is around the seasonal norm, despite higher than average growth.
- Continue to measure grass covers across the grazing area and manage daily grass allocation accordingly.
- Aim to have pre-graze covers of 2800 – 3000 kg DM/ha (1/3 up a wellington boot), to maximise grass quality and optimise intakes.
- Listen to what the cows are telling you about your grassland management. Are they content just before milking, while not leaving surplus grass behind?